Dear Visitor,

Our system has found that you are using an ad-blocking browser add-on.

We just wanted to let you know that our site content is, of course, available to you absolutely free of charge.

Our ads are the only way we have to be able to bring you the latest high-quality content, which is written by professional journalists, with the help of editors, graphic designers, and our site production and I.T. staff, as well as many other talented people who work around the clock for this site.

So, we ask you to add this site to your Ad Blocker’s "white list" or to simply disable your Ad Blocker while visiting this site.

Continue on this site freely
  HOME     MENU     SEARCH     NEWSLETTER    
TECHNOLOGY, DISCOVERY & INNOVATION. UPDATED ABOUT A MINUTE AGO.
You are here: Home / Health / Broadcom Takes a Hostile Stand
Broadcom's Qualcomm Takeover Bid Goes Hostile
Broadcom's Qualcomm Takeover Bid Goes Hostile
By Mike Freeman Like this on Facebook Tweet this Link thison Linkedin Link this on Google Plus
PUBLISHED:
DECEMBER
05
2017
Broadcom officially launched a hostile takeover bid for Qualcomm on Monday, nominating 11 alternative candidates to Qualcomm's board of directors.

The move sets the stage for a showdown over the future of San Diego's largest tech company -- one of only two Fortune 500 firms headquartered locally. Shareholders will vote to support either Qualcomm's or Broadcom's board candidates, with the results expected to be announced at Qualcomm's annual meeting March 6.

Broadcom did not raise the $70 per share offer price on Monday -- which valued Qualcomm at $103 billion. Qualcomm's board previously rejected that amount as too low.

But Broadcom could still boost its offer before the March 6 annual meeting, making it more attractive to Qualcomm's shareholders.

Qualcomm said Monday that the Broadcom offer undervalues Qualcomm's growth prospects in the Internet of Things, 5G, automotive and data center networking markets..

Tom Horton, Qualcomm's presiding director, said no company is better positioned than Qualcomm to bring mobile technologies to these industries.

"Qualcomm's stockholders expect a board that will support this innovation while evaluating objectively the full range of opportunities available to maximize value for all Qualcomm stockholders," said Horton in a statement.

Broadcom Chief Executive Hock Tan [pictured above] said Qualcomm's shareholders want the two companies to talk about the acquisition proposal, but so far Qualcomm has ignored Tan's attempts to begin a dialogue.

"The nominations give Qualcomm stockholders an opportunity to express their disappointment with Qualcomm's directors and their refusal to engage in discussions with us," said Tan in a statement. "In light of the significant value our proposal provides for Qualcomm stockholders, we believe Qualcomm stockholders would be better served by new, independent, highly qualified nominees who are committed to maximizing value and acting in the best interest of Qualcomm stockholders."

Directors nominated by Tan have a wide range of experience in the financial and technologies industries, including previously holding executive positions at Nokia, General Motors, J.P. Morgan and EMC Corp., among others.

The hostile takeover bid ramps up pressure on Qualcomm to complete its bogged down, $38 billion acquisition of automotive and Internet of Things chip maker NXP Semiconductors, which aims to further diversify Qualcomm's business beyond smartphones.

The NXP deal, announced more than a year ago, is still awaiting regulatory approval in Europe and China. In addition, some NXP shareholders want Qualcomm to increase its $110 per share offer, which is below NXP's current trading price.

To date, fewer than 5 percent of NXP shareholders have pledged their shares in support of Qualcomm's offer. The company needs 80 percent to complete the deal.

Broadcom says its buyout bid for Qualcomm stands whether the NXP acquisition is completed or not. But Tan could condition an increase to his $70 per share offer based on what happens with NXP -- including whether Qualcomm is forced to increase its bid to close the deal.

Bernstein Research Analyst Stacy Rasgon wrote in a research note Monday that Tan now has three months to build support among Qualcomm shareholders for his slate of directors "in the face of what appears, at least at the moment, to be a strategic vacuum from Qualcomm."

"So far Qualcomm has yet to produce any sort of concrete response plan to Broadcom's overtures beyond 'trust us,' which we believe is going to become increasingly untenable as things progress," wrote Rasgon. "If they want to keep the company they better get cracking on a case as to why shareholders should trust in them instead of Hock, as we are not convinced Qualcomm shareholders necessarily believe that the Broadcom offer undervalues Qualcomm quite as much as Qualcomm management might believe."

© 2017 San Diego Union-Tribune under contract with NewsEdge/Acquire Media. All rights reserved.

Image credit: Broadcom.

Tell Us What You Think
Comment:

Name:

Like Us on FacebookFollow Us on Twitter
MORE IN HEALTH

NETWORK SECURITY SPOTLIGHT
A security researcher has found that hundreds of different models of HP notebooks, tablets, and other devices include a keylogger that could track and record every keystroke a user makes.

SCI-TECH TODAY
NEWSFACTOR NETWORK SITES
NEWSFACTOR SERVICES
© Copyright 2017 NewsFactor Network. All rights reserved. Member of Accuserve Ad Network.